Monday, July 2, 2012

Eleven

Picture 002

This is the two of us in Alaska – the place we met.  We were on a hike when this picture was taken. So young.  I was so smitten. Smile

582762_3591797117840_768636147_n

June 30, 2001

4

Just a little giddy

CIMG0118

On the beach in Nassau

CIMG0250

Hiking along the French coast

Picture 041

Virginia Beach 2004

CIMG0185

Morning in Erque, France

CIMG0111

CIMG0004

5 year anniversary

CIMG0056

Mount Rushmore (Newly pregnant with two babes here and was exhausted the entire trip!)

1

Becoming parents

CIMG0465

Vacationing together.

CIMG0001

11 years later. This was taken the other night at dinner. A dear friend came over to watch the kids so Chris and I could sneak out for sushi and then follow up with dinner and wine on the patio of an Italian restaurant nearby.  It was a lovely evening.

What a day to celebrate, to remember, to reflect on this marriage.

Chris and I both commented the other day that we feel like our marriage is the strongest it has ever been.  That’s a nice place to be.

When we think back to the 22 year old man and woman that married each other in that small non-air-conditioned church in Appleton, Minnesota we are struck by just how much we have grown and learned since that day. 

There were many things about marriage that neither of us were prepared for or anticipating.  There have been some awesome highs and some pretty devastating lows along the way – but here we stand today.

Not growing complacent, but gaining an appreciation and an understanding of just what it means to truly love each other – to truly think outside of ourselves and our selfish desires – and to keep the lines of communication open.

Lately, after we put the kids to bed, Chris and I sit on our four season porch, open up all the windows, and just talk as we watch the moon come out.  I love that time of day.  On the mornings when we’re home together we head there with our cup of coffee and watch the day unfolding.  There is nothing in the world I love more than just talking with my husband.

In honor of him, and in the effort of slowing down and really appreciating this man God has given me – here is my top 11 things I love about Chris:

1. His incredible work ethic.  He works hard for our family – not just at his job, but also here at home.  He is most certainly not a couch potato.

2. His spontaneous goofy side.  He has embarrassed me countless times throughout the years.  He has no filter and thinks the most inappropriate things are funny.  Like the time we had a few more than 10 items in our basket and Chris urged us to use the fast lane anyhow.  We get up there and he loudly starts saying things like, “Beth – I told you we had more than 10 things!”  Then he looks at the cashier and says, “I’m sorry sir.  I told her we had more than ten things and shouldn’t have come to your line, but she insisted.”  Then he just looks at me and shakes his head.  Smile

3. His talents.  This man is uber talented.  Cooking, construction, computers…Almost to the point where I wonder just what it is that this man can’t do! 

4. His love for family.  He is an incredible father.  That has been awesome to watch.  He truly delights in his children and loves spending time with them.

5. His attention to the details.  This trait has also driven me batty over the years, but the way he analyzes everything, I have found, can also be an incredible strength.

6. His support of me.  He was the one who pushed me to return to college when we met.  He believed in me and still does to this day.

7. His mind for budgeting.  When we first married Chris and I had no clue about money management.  We would cheer at the end of every month if we had a few dollars remaining in our checkbook.  About 7 years ago Chris stumbled upon Dave Ramsey and the way that we view money has changed entirely.  I am thankful for the peace this new way of handling our finances has brought in to our home.

8. His sense of humor.  It’ll catch you off guard.  He’s witty and has this dry sense of humor that just makes me laugh.

9. The way that he loves me.

10. The way he treats my family and his own.  He realizes the importance of family, particularly our parents, and loves mine as if they were his own. 

11. His convictions.  Chris is not the kind of man who is going to waiver just because the crowd is doing so.  He knows what he believes and he is not afraid to stand up for those rights. 

Happy 11 years babe. Moving on to 12. Smile

5.

8 comments:

  1. What an absolutely beautiful tribute to this man that God brought into your life Beth!! He truly was a mother's answer to prayer.. an over and above all you could ask or imagine!
    I am thankful!!
    You are the other half of each other!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom. Your prayers have helped carry us through!

      Delete
  2. Awwww...so sweet! Congrats on 11 years! It was so much fun to see these pictures through the years. I like your mom's comment, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad Berres5.7.12

    and a fathers answer to prayer Chris was and is. You too were just meant for each other and putting our lord first in your home and marriage has Blessed not only you but all of us in this family. May God give you many many more years together. I love you lots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad. He reminds me so much of you. Must be why I picked him. :)

      Delete
  4. I loved this post! Actually, I love all your posts. You inspire me, show me where I need to improve, and challenge me. I've admired you as a mother, and I now, more than ever, admire you as a wife. Congratulations on 11 years! (We just celebrated 9 years. I don't know where the time goes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, your words are so thoughtful and sweet. Thank you! It really meant a lot to me. Congratulations on your nine years! That is a great accomplishment as well!

      Delete

Share a little love would ya? I'd love to hear what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails