Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Share It or Shut It?

"The king of Israel answered, ‘Tell him: "One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off."'"1 Kings 20:11 (NIV)

Daily I receive a Bible Study email from Proverbs 31ministries. I found the one from January 5th to be especially interesting and thought provoking for me.

If I am being real, which is where I like to keep it, I must admit that I truly don't have much personal motivation when it comes to matters of taking care of ME. I will bend over backwards sticking to my plan when it comes to caring for my husband, children, home, family, or friends...but when it comes to goals and desires that I have for myself I tend to throw in the towel almost as soon as I begin.

This ain't a great trait.

This is why, personally, I never take much stock in New Years Resolutions. It has almost gotten to the point for me where I know I won't keep the resolution, so why even make one in the beginning? Isn't that sad? I'm allowing myself to give up before I even make a goal to start!

I have also found though that if I DO set a goal for myself (be it exercise, having daily devotions, sneaking out for regular spa or coffee time, taking a shower (ha!)) I like to tell people about it. I have said to my husband on numerous occasions "Chris, I'm going to start working out! I'm going to lose 10 pounds!" He pumps me up every time and makes me feel so good about my decision....and then I do it for awhile - a couple weeks maybe, and I stop. A few months later "Hey Chris! I'm going to start working out! I'm really going to lose 10 pounds this time!" You get the picture...

SO - back to this devotion.

Here it is straight from the author's mouth...or text:

Recently, I heard successful entrepreneur Derek Sivers explain why some people shouldn't announce their goals. According to several scientific studies, it seems some of us get mental gratification just by talking about our goals without actually doing the work. While this opposes common understanding of accountability, I can see the truth in it.

I can see the truth in this for me too when I stop and think about it. It's easy to say it - it's the following through part that gets to me! As we've all heard "actions speak louder than words" and it really is true. The speaking part is easy, it's making it happen that gets me every time!
Now not to say that we should keep everything to ourselves though either. I am a person who really does need accountability. Sometimes having someone walk along beside me is one way to keep me motivated and moving! I guess I need there to be more though than me just announcing my goals to give me a boost or make me feel good about the idea!

Lately I have been really seeking the Lord and searching myself when it comes to personal "goals" and desires that I have. It would be easy for me to make a bullet list of them here...to maybe have a few of you comment and say "Wow Beth! That is great! Way to go!" before I even really DO anything. Instead I am going to keep them to myself, push myself, and commit to following through with things I have set myself to do.

Here is the video from Derek Sivers that is mentioned by the author above:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself.html



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that Beth!! I said the same thing about New Years Resolutions...to numerous people this year I commented why make resolutions that I know I won't keep!!!
    Great word for you today Beth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because the only person you are doing this goal for is you....and you are the only person who can make that happen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information Beth. I just love your blogs...so thought provoking and speaks to your goodness of heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring!!! Thanks, Beth! :)

    ReplyDelete

Share a little love would ya? I'd love to hear what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails