Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tuscan Vegetable Soup

IMG_9218

Might I just state for the record, that I am by no means a photographer of food.  It just never looks quite like I want it to through that camera lens.

This recipe though, was amazing. 

I came across it in the USA Weekend I pulled out of the paper this past Sunday.

So easy.

So healthy.

So delicious.

Being that I was stuck inside today due to snow, it just called for some hot soup!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

1 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed.  (Or other small white beans can be used)

1 T olive oil

1/2 large onion, diced

1 medium carrot (I didn’t have any for this round)

2 stalks celery, diced

1 small zucchini, diced

1 clove garlic, minced

1 T chopped fresh thyme or 1 t dried

2 t. chopped fresh sage, or 1/2 t dried

1/2 t salt

1/4 freshly ground black pepper

4 c low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (I used chicken)

1 14.5 oz. can no salt added diced tomatoes, with their juices

2 oz. baby spinach leaves, chopped (about 2 cups lightly packed)

1/3 c freshly grated parmesan cheese (I used mozzarella)

Directions:

In a small bowl, mash half of the beans with the back of a spoon.  Set it aside.

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium/high heat.  Add the onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, salt and pepper, and cook until the vegetables are soft.  I gave it about five minutes.

Add the broth and tomatoes.  Bring it to a boil.

Add the mashed beans and the whole beans, along with the spinach leaves.

Cook it about three minutes more until the spinach gets slightly wilted.

Add the cheese on top if you desire!

Enjoy!

I had mine with a slice of whole wheat bread. 

I keep thinking about the leftovers in the fridge and I get excited for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share a little love would ya? I'd love to hear what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails