Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Day of Bodily Fluids

Update: I just want to add that this was the week that Chris was away on business - just so nobody assumes he's just an uninvolved father. :)

Yesterday was just one of those days. Probably one of thee craziest days I have ever had...and hope to never repeat...although as I look back now at the end of it all I am still smiling!

And to think it all started out so well. Come along on the journey of my day will you?

Yesterday morning at 7 Adelyn woke up. I went and got her and brought her in to bed with me. She fell back asleep curled up in my arms and we just cuddled for half an hour together before getting up. The sunrise was incredible coming up over the mountains. I laid there with my daughter in my arms, listening to a peaceful home, and looking out the window.

The morning itself with the boys started out just fine, following our normal routine...until around 10. That is when my brother Mike called. He called to let me know that my brother David never showed up to work this morning. He usually arrives by 7:30 and it was now 9 their time. That just seemed pretty odd to Mike and I and we were concerned. David wasn't answering his phone and we didn't know how to get a hold of him. We were calling and texting friends, cousins, and coworkers trying to find a way to locate him. I was so concerned for him and of course my mind was going to worse possible scenarios. At around 11:30 or so David called me. He had overslept. When I saw his name come up on my cell phone my heart just lept. As soon as I heard his voice I just started to sob. I was so relieved that he was okay.

Just a few minutes after that phone call Ethan and Grayson were playing back in their bedroom while I was making lunch. All of the sudden I heard this loud cry and I just knew that something was wrong. I rushed in to their room to find Ethan sitting in his toy box. Blood was pouring from his mouth and nose - down his shirt and all over his toys. I whisked him out of there and in to the kitchen where I could sit him up and investigate what was going on. I concluded that he must have hit his nose (and eye/forehead) on the toy box as he was trying to climb in. I was able to get the bleeding to stop and calm him down.

Lunch time came next and that was uneventful. :)

At 1 I put the boys down for their nap. I fed Adelyn and put her down for a nap. My neighbor came over to sit here while I ran out and voted. When I returned she told me that one of the boys had been crying the entire time. I should note that Grayson had a runny nose all yesterday morning so I knew he was getting sick. It is not unlike them to cry during naps when they are sick while they are trying to settle - so I was debating whether I should check on him or just give him time to settle. Something about the sound of the cry though made me think that I should check things out. When I walked in all I saw was this pitiful little boy in the corner of his crib completely covered in vomit. I won't go in to any great detail here because it's not a pleasant topic - but let's just say it was n.a.s.t.y.

I took him out of there and in to our bathroom where I got him all cleaned up. With his little hand in mind I walked his little diapered self to the living room where I had a basket of clean clothes and we got him dressed again. I had him lay in our bed while I went back in the nursery and cleaned up while Ethan slept. Grayson never did settle down for a nap after that, but he did lay with me on the couch for awhile and enjoyed some cuddle time. He didn't have a fever and did not appear to be sick besides his cold. I just think he had gotten too worked up.

After dinner last night I decided to give the boys quick haircuts (which they aren't too fond of), and then toss them both in the bathtub (which they love). They didn't want the haircuts to happen at all, but when I explained that Mommy and Daddy and Ama and Baba and MawMaw and Pop and Jessica and Zachary and Renee and Michael and Hayley and DayDid get haircuts then they wanted to get one too!

Just as the boys were finishing up their bath Adelyn woke up in her crib and wanted her Mama that second! I had to quickly finish getting the boys out of the tub and dried off. I let them run around the house naked while I soothed Adie on the couch. Ethan and Grayson went to their room to play. From my spot on the couch I could hear the sound of every.single.book hitting the ground in their room.

Grayson came running out to me (mind you - he was still naked), and excitedly told me (in his language) what was happening back in their room! He then squealed and ran back there and the two of them were just laughing and laughing. They have gotten in trouble for this same stunt many times before - so when I laid Adelyn on the couch (she was not happy), and went back there they took one look at my face and knew they were in trouble. After a little talk the boys were helping me pick up their books and put them back on their shelf.

It was at that moment I realized that one of them had urinated all over their books. Seriously. Seriously?

At that moment I looked to the ceiling and I said two things out loud:

1. Jesus, give me strength.

2. I need a vacation!


The rest of the night went pretty smoothly. The boys slept soundly from 7 pm - 8:30 am and Adelyn slept from 10:30 - 6:30, so I was able to get a much needed night of sleep!

Please do not take this post as me complaining or for me being naive about how life is going to be with three young children. I knew that it was going to be crazy. I knew that there would be days where I would feel completely insane and where things would be completely out of control. I would also though not trade my job for any other job in the world. Please do not pity me, do not look down on me, do not say "I told you so", and do not look at me like I'm a crazy woman...just laugh with me because that's all you can do on days like that!

I just wanted to document this day so I would never forget it.

Be thankful I don't have any pictures of it!


  1. Wow, Beth! A crazy day indeed! Once grown up, your kids are gonna absolutely love reading all of your blog entries!

  2. Beth, your ability to put into words what has happened in your day is just remarkable...just paints a vivid picture of all the excitement, fun, and all the rest that goes with caring for your little ones. God bless you!!!

  3. Oh my word! What a day!!!

    Thanks for sharing about it, and I especially loved your "Please do not take this as..." disclaimer at the end. So great! :)

    I hope the rest of this week is easier for you!

    And one more thing...THANK YOU so much for your comment on my blog today. You are such an encourager, and I feel so blessed by your friendship!

  4. Oh my! You have 3 very lucky kiddos to have a mama with such patience. Hope there isn't another one like it for awhile!

  5. It is exactly those days, those days where everything is crazy and nothing goes as planned, that usually have me smiling once I am in bed (key word being BED). Would we have had children if we wanted life to be predictable!!?? We all knew our lives would be out of our hands and into those much much smaller ones. And who would want it any other way?

    I am so glad you shared! Hilarious! (Though we wouldn't care if you did complain now and then. I am pretty sure you have to be a saint to make it through 18 years without a single one!)



Share a little love would ya? I'd love to hear what you have to say!


Related Posts with Thumbnails